Thursday 30 January 2014

Let's Learn Arabic Numerals!

Well, I've been in Saudi for almost two weeks now, so I suppose I might as well learn the numbers. But this shouldn't be too difficult, because I know that single digit numerals came from Arabia, and eventually replaced the more cumbersome Roman numerals. Surely Arabic numerals must only have superficial differences to the ones we're used to.

Okay, let's start with zero. This doesn't look too bad. It's kind of similar to a zero. Instead of a circle, it's a diamond. There are no appendages coming off of it, so yeah, this should be easy to remember.  It looks like Arabic numerals have their own names too...interesting. Looks like this little guy is called sifr.


One down, nine to go! Or is it zero down, two to go? Heh? See what I did there...*ahem*. Right, moving on. Next is waahid. Not really sure why they insist on having two syllable names for single digits. Whatever. It looks more or less like a one. So that's good. Moving on.


The Arabic numeral for two..well this just looks like a backwards seven. This looks nothing like a two. Heh. And it's name is eeyth-nayn. Eeth-nayn. That's going to make me think of nine. It's like a toothless person saying "it's nine". Dang, this may be harder than I though. Eeeth-nayn...what the f....


Aaaand the numeral for three is thalaatha. Really. You're going to give the number three a three syllable name? Hey, I've got an idea, let's do this for all the numbers. Let's give the Arabic word for one hundred one hundred syllables. Won't that be neat? Man. Talaatha...it sounds like a person's name-a really annoying person. Oh well, there is at least a three shape in it.


Am I seeing this right? Is the numeral for four really a backwards three? Is someone *#@#ing with me? Is this legit? Says here it's called araba'a. Sure. Whatever.



Aaannd it looks like five, or "khamsa" is a %$&@ing zero. Yeah, right, no problem. I can learn this, I'll just give up my social life for the next two weeks. %@&#.


Are you &#*@#&$ me? The numeral for six is a seven. Sitta. It even sounds like seven! What the @!$# is going on here? Who the *#$% came up with this @!#&? It's like some @&#*^#^ sat down, and thought to himself, "how can I make a set of numerals that will totally *#$% with someone who is used to the other kind?" You know what? I'm not giving him the pleasure. MOVING ON.


The Arabic numeral for seven, Sab'a, looks just like the Roman numeral for five. Big *#$%##@ surprise. NEXT.


Thamaaneeya is the numeral for eight. That's the same amount of syllables as my full name. @%#$ you, thamaaneya.


Oh, I can just tell this is going to be great. Nine is going to be the piece de resistance. Dare I even look? *takes a big breath* Tisa...and it looks like a nine. Heh, look at that.


Now we both know the Arabic numerals, and all it cost us was our sanity. Thanks for joining me and  stay tuned for THE ARABIC ALPHABET.












1 comment:

Translate