Friday 4 April 2014

Budapest: The Land of Milk and Honey

Budapest was amazing! I got to stay for a full week with my old pal Dave and finally meet his family. So, granted, I did get a much different perspective hanging out in Budapest than I did living in Paris, but I have a feeling that even had I just been there as a tourist staying in a hotel, I would have enjoyed it more than Paris.

The biggest reason is that Budapest is a much more livable city--the weather is great, there are lots of parks and nice places to walk around, and the prices are more than reasonable. The food, by the way is amazing. I had some of the best meat in my  life here, and the produce is just as good. One day, we went to a massive building full of produce stalls, and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

In Paris, I was afraid to do much, because everything was so expensive, but in Budapest, I spent about the same amount, even though I was there for nearly twice as long, and I got two massages, went to the cinema, went to a poker room (lost $50), and went to the thermal bath.

Paris, does have it's charms, but Budapest is really has Paris licked in nine out of ten areas. To illustrate, I'll pretend I'm writing a break up letter to Paris:



Dear Paris,

This is never easy to say, but I think we both knew what was coming. I've met someone new. Her name is Budapest. We have only been seeing each other for a week, but I think it's fair to say that we are in love. 

Paris, I know you may be taking this hard, but our relationship had to many rainy days. For me and Budapest it's all sunny weather. I know you have a certain timeless beauty about you...but Budapest has a youthful vigor that, I'm sorry darling, but that you just lack. 


I know that you're practically world renowned for your cooking, but frankly I think you're cooking isn't that great. Budapest's cooking is much better and she always uses fresh ingredients. Can you say that? And she never skims off the top either. When I give Budapest twenty euros for a meal, she makes me a feast for kings. When I give you twenty euros...well, let's just say I don't feel so princely. 

And if after dinner, I want to walk around outside with a beer or two, Budapest doesn't mind at all. As long as I don't get drunk and start knocking things over, she's just happy that I come home in one piece. Of course she isn't quite as tolerant as you of smoking, but can you blame her? It's a terrible habit, after all. 

I know you may be heartbroken for a while, but take courage. You have plenty of suitors, and I have every confidence you will get on just fine without me. 

Best wishes,

Brady



Really, there is too much to tell in one blog entry, but I had a wonderful time thanks to Dave and his wonderful wife and daughter. I hope very much to make it back in August, and am even planning to invest in some real estate there. I love this city so much, I cannot say enough about it. For anyone planning a European vacation please go anywhere else, I want to keep Budapest a secret!






2 comments:

  1. You're always welcome back any time. Emily is happy to hear that you'll be back in the summer for sure!

    - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to put Budapest on our list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete

Translate